I have been working in teaching and learning in different capacities for some ten years. I have experience as an instructor, facilitator, instructional designer, and academic coach.
I run online writing courses and offer writing coaching services through my company Bookends Writing. I support students as an academic mentor with StudySpot Educational Services and with Urban Squash Toronto.
While working on my PhD I taught courses at Memorial University. I was a sole charge instructor for first-year critical reading and writing context credit courses, including English 1080.
I am also a trained facilitator. I facilitate workshops for Brock University’s School of Graduate Studies and Department of Applied Disability Studies. I also facilitate workshops for clients in the private sector and for NGOs.
For a number of years I have been working in online teaching and learning. I am especially interested in universal instructional design, user experience, and theories of digital literacy for developing online courses.
- PhD, English, Memorial University, St. John’s, NL
- MA, Cultural and Critical Theory, Brock University, St. Catharines, ON
- BA, Political Science, Memorial University, St. John’s, NL
- Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW), Instructional Skills Workshop Network
- Facilitator Development Workshop (FDW), Instructional Skills Workshop Network
- Teaching and Learning Certificate, Brock University, Centre for Pedagogical Innovation
Instructor, Memorial University, Department of English
- Taught undergraduate courses, mentored students, tracked grades, and administered courses
- Implemented instructional design best practices for analysis, creation, and evaluation of courses
- Visit: english1080.blogspot.com
Writing Workshop Facilitator, Brock University
- Facilitated yearly graduate student writing workshop for Applied Disability Studies program
- Facilitated workshops as part of Vitae Writer Retreat for Brock’s Faculty of Graduate Studies
Writing Instructor, Bookends Writing Inc.
- Created and delivered online courses for new and emerging writers
- Course materials focused on building writing habits and the “creative cross-training method”
- Visit: bookendswriting.ca and bookendswriting.thinkific.com
Academic Coach, StudySpot Educational Services
- Mentored junior high and high school students on executive and academic skills
Academic Coach, Urban Squash Toronto
- Volunteer role supporting underserved community
- Mentor junior high and high school students on executive and academic skills
TEACHING & LEARNING PUBLICATIONS / RESEARCH
Book: Expressive Subjects: 25 Writing Prompts to Unleash Your Creativity. Toronto: HCE Press, 2018.
Article: “Form, Content, Function: Phenomenology and/in Sign Language Poetry.” Schutzian Research 3 (2011): 238-49.
Presentation: “A Freirean Approach to Critical Literacy and Online Creative Writing.” Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English (ACCUTE), Concordia University, Montreal, QC.
Presentation: “Resistance to Creative Expressive Work: Tales of Glory and Woe.” Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), Ryerson University, Toronto, ON.
Presentation: “Bildungsroman as Roman à Clef: Meta-narrative and Slackening the Intentional Strings.” Narrative Matters, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB.